Let’s do fenghsui, interior decoration, aquarium and gardening at the same time. Indoor water garden is the best solution for integrating 4 hobbies together. You have to be creative here by finding out the right plants, right container for this awesome decorative stuff.
Growing plants in water without soil is known as hydroponic gardening.
The following are the best indoor water gardens available at Amazon:
Some of our favorite plants that are suitable for indoor water gardening are:
[table id=1 /]
One option is Aquaponic Gardening
Aquaponics is a symbiotic system which uses advantages of both hydroponics and aquaculture. Check out some of the amazing commercial aquaponics systems which make you self sustained for food.
Here is a cheat sheet infographic to start your indoor water garden:
Step by Step Guide:
- First step is to choose the right container,
If you don’t want to spend too much on the container, then be creative here by getting a glass jar from your antique. Make sure u clean it throughly and decorative it to make it eye catching. Apothecary jars, glass or ceramic cookware are best choice for this.
If you are ok to spend around 50-100$, then you will get nice and creative looking glass containers from online stores like etsy, amazon,eBay. Or it can be bought from your local garden center or garden nursery.
- Second step is to choose the right plants which can be grown in water. You can choose either house plants or some indoor herb plants, which can be grown in water, but all plants are not aqua friendly.
Let me classify the water plants:
1. True aquatics
Plants which can be completely submerged in water like parrots feather or Anubias. These plants need soil or gravel at the bottom so that roots of plants can be fixed inside.
2. Semi aquatics
Plants which can be only partially submerged in water like umbrella palm or sweet flag.Their roots will be submerged in water and foliage will be on the surface of water.
Best example for this category are very common water hyacinth and water lettuce. They add its beauty be floating and drifting in water.
Tips for indoor water garden:
- Some plants need bright sunlight, atleast 4-6hrs, choose a location which is best for more light. Windowsill is best location for such plants.
- Use fluorosent light instead of incandescent light, which lead to over heating of water and finally your plants will be dead.
- Dont clean the container with detergent, presence of detergent in water will lead to death of you house plants in water, because it makes difficult for plant to breath.
- Dont replace the water completely, because it leads to algae growth again, as once a algae cycle is over, it will not grow again. Use some decorative fish to get rid of algae.
- Water evaporates from container over a period of time and it need to be replenished accordingly.
- Use pebbles or tablets of fertilisers instead of normal outdoor fertilisers.
- Use pieces of charcoal in water as it make water more clear and get rid of bad smell.
Let me list down some advantages that I have learned from my experience.
- Very Low maintanance. No need of regular watering.
- Pest and disease resistant.
- No dirt and messy stuffs inside your home.
- Very limited space required.
- Suitable for kids.
Lets take a look at these awesome photo inspirations to start you indoor water garden.
Forcing Bulbs in Glass Containers
Grow bulbs indoor
Try to be creative by growing bulbs ( hyacinths and Paperwhites ) indoor during this fall season.
Lilly Pond garden in vase
Home decor Glass Jar indoor garden
Glass Container Indoor garden
Let us know which inspiration amazed you the most. Doesn’t it give u enough motivation to start making you water garden for decorating your living room.